Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Solar Gourmet Bug Thoughts

Would like to first welcome a new blog member, William Ray Yeager. Hi William!  William as you can see by the link is COO at InFoods.com, from what I can tell is a startup business in the Entomophagy field.  I'm honored you feel my blog worthy of following. :)

More and more, people in what may be considered as non-entomophagy countries such as North America and Europe are slowly accepting the practice.  Why not, I mean it just makes perfect sense when you figure in all the variables such as sustainability, nutrition, earth friendly, etc.  There's many more benefits to list about raising and eating insects but I want to talk about other stuff too.

I'm a designer of useful things.  That's what my mind does all the time, vision things of a particular nature in relation to something I've taken an interest in and like my new blog member William, I tend to try and solve problems as they are presented as an obstacle.  Today and the past several days it's solar related.

When we consider sustainability and how insects can and already do play a big part in helping to feed hungry people all over the world, solar devices just seem to make sense as being a key addition and partner in building an Entomophagy related business. 

In those very parts of the world where eating insects is more of a necessity than a growing trend like here in America, there are also considerations I think we need to take into account when saying we want to help curb world hunger.  Many or most of the people who eat insects out of necessity could probably make use of some inexpensive technology that allows them to harness the power of the sun in preparing their meals, versus having to walk-about to gather wood to make a fire or purchase charcoal made in earthen vessels because all the fire fuel is used up, which leads to cutting more trees, if there are trees to cut.

I became very interested in reflective solar cookers last year.  They simply amaze me!  How one can take some aluminum foil or mylar potato chip bags and turn them into something that can cook a meal is way cool...or hot, however one wants to look at it.  It's clean, sustainable, smart and practically free energy.  Solar Cookers at Cantina West is my choice for all things solar cooking.  Lot's of pictures and pages of homemade DIY projects.  There may even be a picture or two of my solar projects there from last year if you look hard enough! :)

Reflective solar ovens can be effectively built, as expensive or inexpensive and one desires and have great results once the basic concepts are realized.  Having spent the last few days fiddling around with one of my reflective cookers as a bug collector/dehydrator I have stumble upon yet another revelation in solar oven design that has seemingly escaped every reflective design I have seen, so I'm being busy in building this new solar oven I think will be a great addition to my future business.

Part of my future business will be building these fold-up, compact, inexpensive reflective solar ovens and supplying them to people who have a real need for them in places where they are a necessity such as where my daughter and her family are currently serving/working as missionaries in Belize, Central America and other underdeveloped countries, as well as right here in America. I would like to make it so that people can purchase one or more cookers to be made and sent to wherever it is they desire to help folks out who have a need and we can do that through current missions in progress.

What if one could fill a pot with some food items needing cooked in the morning and just set it out in the sun, without having the need to turn or otherwise align the reflector as the sun travels across the sky from morning to evening and then bring a hot, steaming meal in for the family without ever having to gather wood or build a fire?  Think that might come in handy to some?  I sure do and it's this purpose that drives me, to help somebody help themselves.  That my friends is the purpose we all should live for, helping our fellows, be in here or anywhere in the world.

What if that same device could be made so with various accessories to not only cook whatever one desires but also to use the power of the sun to auto-collect insects during the night and cook them the following day, to be separated and eaten or fed to fish or other livestock, without ever having to put in a battery or wire a switch? :)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated prior to posting.