Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Principles and Procedures for Rearing High Quality Insects, John C. Schneider

Times such as this I wish I had paid better attention in school and gotten some further education.  At 49 years of age, tech challenged and short term memory impaired, it seems a daunting challenge to now try and get some formal education in Entomology, distance online or otherwise.  The distance online courses require quite alot of pre-education and seeming to me to be useless courses such as English and two in different foreign languages!  Do bugs care what language one speaks?  It might be helpful though when meeting up with like minded folks from other countries, especially since Entomophagy is currently practiced and studied moreso by those outside of the USA.

Always seem to get what I need though and right on time!  A fella liked my Facebook page, Gourmet Bugs & Bait a few weeks ago.  I thought his name, Alfredo Llecha, seemed familiar and in just a few minutes research I realized who he was as I had just the day before read an online article about him working with BSFL at Mississippi State University.  A native of Spain, Alfredo has come to the USA to share his expertise in insect rearing while specializing in various aspects of the Black Soldier Fly.

Alfredo and I exchanged a few messages and emails concerning BSFL habits and rearing methods and he ultimately recommended a book, Principles and Procedures for Rearing High Quality Insects, John C. Schneider.

MSU offers a yearly workshop based on this book at a fee of $1,050.  I'm going to try to get in on the 2013 schedule being as 2012 is all booked up.  Until then, the $75 total for the book does not seem overly expensive for the amount of knowledge one will gain from it, especially one such as myself who knows actually little to nothing about insect rearing and is having to learn as I go.  It will likely save me alot of time, money and frustration by not having to trial & error experiment so much!

I'm thankful for new friends who seem to be brought into my path just when I need them.  I had no idea when beginning this journey into Entomophagy of all the interesting and talented people I would meet and certainly had no idea that some of the top people in this field in the country and around the world would take interest into my projects. 

Small town, big world, lots of bugs.  On we go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated prior to posting.