Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Grasshoppers For Dinner!

Before I get into the meat of this article I would like to share a new Entomophagy Blog by Joshua Allen, a newcomer as am I to this interesting way of life.  Welcome Joshua!

Today I ate grasshoppers, eight of them which were caught by hand and one bonus small brown beetle.  Wasn't quite sure how to prepare them so I just pulled off the wings after a short boil and fried them crispy along with a tiny bit of unsalted butter, dash of soy sauce and a sprinkling of Cavenders Greek Seasoning.  So far and by far, the most delicious insects I have eaten to date.  I just had a feeling I was going to love grasshoppers and that little brown beetle wasn't bad at all either!  Think it was a young Junebug by pictures I've seen.

The weather has been very warm for March and the locusts are numerous already but small.  Won't be long and we'll be testing the trap, using the sweep net and filling the grasshopper cage over the wheat grass & oats patch.

Having finally tasted some hopper, I'm definitely going to find a way to raise them with success!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the shout-out. You have a lot of good information here. I'm still getting my feet wet. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated prior to posting.