Friday, March 23, 2012

Trial Grasshopper Cage

If you've been keeping up with my randomness, I posted some drawings awhile back of a concept outdoor setup for raising grasshoppers.  Here's the cage I finally was able to salvage enough parts to build.  Not as long as I hoped for but well enough for a trial...


Just a bit over four feet long.  All side dimensions are close to two feet.  Nothing hardly is exact in anything I do since I try to get the most space out of available materials. 

One thing I did that doesn't make perhaps the very best use of available space is that the side screen panels are on the inside rather than out of the frame.  They are flush with the mesh bottom edges so that there is no chance of frass buildup anywhere in the cage bottom.  All frass will exit as it's produced and fertilize the wheat grass and alfalfa patch I'm planting tomorrow to grow up into the mesh bottom to feed the hoppers I will catch soon.

Not sure how many it will hold and/or support.  Will just load it until it looks like it won't support any more, either by noting feed consumption or otherwise conditions that will say to stop.  Planning on a larger grass plot than the cage so if it's a lack of feed issue I can simply cut some extra and put in the cage as required. 

This will go under a clear plastic tent-type structure to keep the rain off  the cage as much as possible.  The slope of my yard will ensure any rain will naturally water the grass. No shortage of that so far this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated prior to posting.